Pages

Monday, November 30, 2009

Introduction


In 1974 I began researching my Grove family genealogy.  At that time my paternal grandmother was living and at age 68 she was able to supply me with names of others who had been researching our Grove line. My grandfather's youngest sibling, Cloyce "Dutch" Grove was also living. He had family lore that filled in many "blanks".

William Young Grove was identified as my great, great, grandfather. There were plenty of public records for his birth, his marriage to Sarah Elizabeth Miller, his enlistment in the Union Army in 1862, his land ownership in Virginia, and Kansas, and many other references of him and his family in census records and wills. At that time William and Sarah were the furthest documented ancestors I could find.


Since 1974 I have discovered and contacted all branches of William and Sarah's descendants.  I have been able to trace William and Sarah's westward migration from Fayette County PA to Parker KS.

In January, 2010 I am planning to embark on a journey from my home in suburban Boston and ending at William and Sarah's final resting place in Goodrich Cemetery near Parker KS.  I will be stopping at various places along the route to do research, see museums, libraries, churches, cemeteries, and historical sites that have some connection to William and Sarah when they lived there in the 19th century.

Watch this blog for daily updates of my journey.

Grove Migration Map

No comments:

Post a Comment