Pages

Monday, January 4, 2010

Westbound Day 1 Norwood, MA to New Holland, PA 389 miles

After almost 72 hours of moderate to heavy snowfall in the Boston area overnight, today was bright, clear, and cold.  I got on the road about 8:30 bound for my first family connection stop in East Stroudsburg, PA.  My father's first cousin Betty Ann George is in East Stroudsburg.  We had a good visit, went through old Cliff family photos and caught up on her family and mine.

From East Stroudsburg to New Holland is about a 2.5 hour drive and the GPS worked great getting me to my first night in New Holland, PA which is in Amish country in Lancaster County.

Now I have never claimed to really understand the Amish faith, other than what our mass media tells us.  I'm pretty sure I missed hearing about Amish (Dutch) cooking but I was really surprised with my meal at Yoder's Restaurant and Buffet in New Holland.  It's a good thing it was a buffet because it gave me chance to sample ham balls, pork and kraut, potato filling, baked oatmeal, beef stew, buttered noodles, stewed tomatoes with cheese sauce.  I think I've discovered a new American cuisine, well at least new for me.

East Earl Township is near here and I intend to scout a few of the Amish museums in the area and do some genealogical research on the Groff and Grove surname at the Lancaster Historical Society.  I've already noticed several Groff references in the area.  Groffdale Road is a well traveled Lancaster County route.  And the placemat at Yoder's advertised Groff's Auto Repair.  I'm pretty sure I share in this gene pool.

Day 2 should end with me in Martinsburg, WV.

2 comments:

  1. was realy great to find john grove and mary browns grave site ive been looking for 20 yaers-john grove was one of my great grand fathers and of mary brown was one my great grand mothers-john grove was was given town lots from jacob his father and his mothern cathrine staley,john grove allso,han a tanning buissness there and he allso apllied in 1810 for tavern permitt-if my mind serves me right lots were to go henery,but in pappers i have in finale settlements of jacobs will,the lots went to john-johns son john grove jr was allso one of my great grand fathers i have his will and grave site picture burried with his wife anna mcwilliam-john jr was born 1795-anyone wanting to contact me feel free to E-mail me at ciscof30@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. the bower connection-my grand father arthur perry grove-he married flossie m young and her parents were john s young and minnie bowers-so here we have another connection to young family surname and the bowers surname-anyone wanting to contact me e-mail me at ciscof30@yahoo.com allso the perry was used in my grand fathers name and my dads name-and from what i understand the stephen perry grove farm at sharpsburg perry was the middle name of stephen,what made perry such a popular name,i have no idea.

    ReplyDelete